QWISO, which stands for Quick Wash Isopropyl, is a method of cannabis extraction that utilizes isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) as the solvent. It is a relatively simple and quick technique for obtaining cannabis concentrates, particularly hash oil or oil-like extracts.
Here are some key aspects and considerations related to QWISO extraction:
- Extraction Process: QWISO extraction involves soaking cannabis plant material, typically trim or ground buds, in isopropyl alcohol for a short period. The alcohol acts as a solvent, dissolving the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other desired compounds from the plant material.
- Quick Wash Method: The term “Quick Wash” refers to the short duration of the extraction process. Unlike other extraction methods that involve longer soaking times, QWISO extraction typically lasts for a few minutes to minimize the extraction of unwanted chlorophyll and plant waxes.
- Cold extraction: QWISO extraction is often performed at cold temperatures to reduce the extraction of chlorophyll and other undesirable components. Cold temperatures help prevent the breakdown of cannabinoids and preserve the quality of the final extract.
- Filtration and Purging: After the plant material has been soaked in isopropyl alcohol, the mixture is filtered to separate the liquid extract from the plant material. The extract is then typically purged of residual solvent through a process known as evaporation or purging. This involves gently heating the extract to evaporate the alcohol, leaving behind the concentrated cannabis oil.
- Quality and potency: The quality and potency of the QWISO extract can vary depending on factors such as the starting material, extraction duration, temperature, and post-extraction processing. The final product may have a dark amber or golden color and can be sticky or oily in consistency.
- Safety Considerations: When working with isopropyl alcohol or any solvent, it is crucial to prioritize safety. Isopropyl alcohol is flammable and should be handled in a well-ventilated area away from open flames or heat sources. Proper personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, including gloves and eye protection. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the extract is thoroughly purged of any residual solvent before consumption.
- Legal and Regulatory Considerations: The legality of QWISO extraction and the possession of cannabis concentrates may vary depending on local laws and regulations. It is important to be aware of the legal framework surrounding cannabis and cannabis products in your jurisdiction.
It’s worth noting that QWISO extraction is just one of many techniques used to create cannabis concentrates, and its efficacy and quality may vary compared to other methods. It is advisable to research and understand the various extraction techniques, safety precautions, and legal considerations before attempting any cannabis extraction at home.